Church of Santo Domingo de Silos: The Church.
The Church of Santo Domingo de Silos was located in the Villa, very close to the wall separating it from the Ajerquía, in the neighbourhood of the same name, one of the thirteen founded by Fernando III the Saint. Nowadays, it is located in the central Compañía Square, between Reloj and Pompeyos Streets.
From the Church of Santo Domingo de Silos there are not many remains; in fact, it is no longer a church, but the headquarters of the Historical Archive of the Province of Córdoba. That means that we have basically preserved its structure, although remodelled, due to the intervention carried out at the end of the 20th century in order to adapt the building to its new function. On the other hand, the Chapel of Conception is preserved, which is annexed to the church, and also the tower from the 18th century.
Although we do not have much information about the building of the church, we know that the Chapel of Conception and the Brotherhood of Public Scribes were founded in 1397. Years passed by and the building was surrounded by other significant religious constructions, such as the Church of El Salvador (The Saviour) and Santo Domingo de Silos, built at the end of the 16th century, or the Church of Santa Victoria School.
The neighbourhood of Santo Domingo de Silos was founded shortly after the conquest of the city in 1236, but the building of the church had to wait until the second half of the century, when some priests were appointed to occupy it. Like in other cases, it is thought that they could have used a mosque in the neighbourhood to hold religious ceremonies until the works started.
From the church only the longitudinal arches of the nave remain, although, as we mentioned earlier, they were restored due to the remodelling carried out in the 80s. The pointed arches, without mouldings, have thick voussoirs. The square pillars have small cross-shaped columns. On the other hand, the naves are thought to have been covered by wooden ceilings, the central one reinforced with horizontal beams.
In 1762 the tower of the church was erected, which is still preserved nowadays, although in a terrible state of conservation. It has a square floor and two parts, and the decoration follows the fashion of the style called "Baroque of plaques", widely spread in our city at the time. In the lower part there are two rectangular openings on both sides, which are crowned by triangular pediments on the higher part; everything flanked by two pilasters connecting to the second section, which has a round opening on each of its sides.
If you wish to know the Fernandine Churches, do not hesitate to hire one of our guided tours. We will pay special attention to the Church of Santo Domingo de Silos. We are experts in the interpretation of the historical heritage from Córdoba. If you have chosen to do sightseeing in Córdoba, choose a high quality option, choose ArtenCórdoba.