Brotherhood of Congregant Nazarenes of the Holy Christ of the Good Death and Our Lady Queen of the Martyrs.
It was founded in 1944 in the Royal Collegiate Church of San Hipólito by young members of the Marian Congregations. Their first station of penance took place in 1946, and five years later, Reina de Los Mártires (Queen of the Martyrs) was included.
Royal Collegiate Church of San Hipólito. This collegiate church was founded in the 14th century, although only the presbytery was made at that time, and it was not until the beginning of the 18th century when it was extended and provided with a Latin-cross-shaped floor, thus having its current appearance. From its architecture, we can highlight the inside courtyard and the back façade, although we must not forget any detail about the intimacy provided by the chapel where the images of the brotherhood are located.
Santísimo Cristo de la Buena Muerte (Holy Christ of the Good Death) – [PHOTO #1; #2]
The image of Santísimo Cristo de la Buena Muerte (Holy Christ of the Good Death) was made by artist from Seville Antonio Castillo Lastrucci around 1945. He was probably the most prolific and renowned religious sculptor in Seville in the first half of the 20th century.
The sculpture of the Lord is inspired, as can be seen in the contract between the brotherhood and the sculptor, in the one made by Juan de Mesa for the Compañía de Jesús(Company of Jesus) in Seville, which is today the Cofradía de los Estudiantes (Brotherhood of Students). This inspiration shows the founding intention of connecting with the primitive congregations of Buena Muerte (Good Death), supported by Compañía de Jesús (Company of Jesus) for a long time.
As the contract establishes, the image of the Lord is made in cedar wood, has a natural size and polychrome with a rustic Cross. It has an exceptional anatomical treatment, as well as his hair and face. The latter has fine and delicate features, and it is full of serenity and spirituality. His hair consists of long wavy locks. The main element of the work is its simplicity, as there is no crown of thorns nor flames on his head.
It has been restored on two occasions; the first one, by Francisco Peláez del Espino in 1984, when it had some deteriorating signs like cracks on his back and the back of his head. It was again restored in 1991, but this time by Miguel Ángel González Jurado, who had to repair great imperfections due to a unfortunate accident.
Nuestra Señora Reina de Los Mártires (Our Lady Queen of the Martyrs) – [PHOTO #1; #2]
The Reina de los Mártires (Queen of the Martyrs) was also made by Antonio Castillo Lastrucci around 1951.
Only her hands and face are carved in cedar wood. The brothers requested the author to make it similar to the Virgen de la Hiniestafrom Seville, which was also made by Lastrucci himself in 1937.
Her greatly beautiful face has very marked features, such as her chin, where there is a small dimple, or her frowned brow. Her half-opened lips, along with her low and sad look, show an expression of contained pain and suffering.
Long black tunic, black face-coverer and straw belt.
Mahogany Guiding Cross, with silversmithing by Jesús Domínguez (1950); senatus banner, banner and Virgin banner with golden embroidery by Esperanza Elena Caro, the latter having an Immaculate by Castillo Lastrucci. Horns by Jesús Domínguez and cloths by the same needlewoman from Seville.
Elige el tour que más se ajuste a tus necesidades y reserva tu plaza en una de nuestras visitas guiadas regulares.
Las Visitas guiadas regulares son aquellas a las que puedes apuntarte de forma individual, se realizan regularmente y en un solo idioma, castellano o inglés
Visita Guiada Mezquita-Catedral de Córdoba
5 / 5
Visita Guiada Mezquita de Córdoba y Judería
5 / 5
Visita Guiada Córdoba a Fondo
5 / 5
Visita Guiada Medina Azahara
5 / 5