Brotherhood of the Holy Christ of Descent, Holy Mary of Comfort, Saint John Evangelistand Our Lady of the Good End.
Brotherhood founded in the neighbourhood of Campo de la Verdadin 1937. Its first processional parade took place on Maundy Thursday of the following year. It was in 1985 when the image of Virgen del Buen Fin(Virgin of the Good End) was included.
Parish of San José y Espíritu Santo. The church of the neighbourhood of Campo de la Verdadhas three naves separated by columns, some of them taken from the old Aljama Mosque of the city, of which their capitals stand out. Nowadays, we can highlight the big Baroque altarpiece and some of the religious sculptures located on its side altarpieces, as well as the old “Guiding Cross” that is kept in this temple along the whole year.
Santísimo Cristo del Descendimiento (Holy Christ of Descent) – [PHOTO #1; #2]
The image of the Lord was made in 1937 by religious sculptor from Valencia Amadeo Ruiz Olmos, and its first processional parade took place two years later.
It is the main image of a sculptural group, representing the moment when Jesus is released from the Cross by Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus, members of the sanhedrin, who are located on both sides of the Lord. The image of the Lord is made in solid wood. His torso is slightly turned left, therefore his left arm falls lifelessly, whereas the right one is still pounded on the cross as well as his feet. He has a plain shroud with the artist’s name and the year it was made. In the past, the Cross was flat, but it was substituted in 1944 by a tree-like cross by Ruiz Olmos himself, and in 2001, by the current one, also tree-like, made by José Carlos Rubio Valverde. The image was restored in 1992 by Miguel Ángel González Jurado.
On the pace there are up to five more images, such as a Virgin, María Santísima del Refugio (Holy Mary of Comfort), accompanied by Saint John Evangelist. On the other side, there are the “three Marys”, that is, Saint Mary Magdalene, Mary of Salomeand Mary of Clopas. All these images, together with those of Saint John of Arimathea and Nicodemus, were made by religious sculptor from Córdoba Miguel González Jurado.
Nuestra Señora del Buen Fin (Our Lady of the Good End) – [PHOTO #1; #2]
The image of Nuestra Señora del Buen Fin (Our Lady of the Good End) was made by artist from Seville Manuel Hernández León, who carved both hands and face around 1979. Shortly afterwards, Brothers Morillo finished the current hands. The Virgin has a swarthy face, with a look lost in the distance, and six tears caused by her pain. She is wearing a gilded silver crown made by Alfonso Luque Morales which was used for the first time in 1987.
White tunic, red face-coverer and sash. The important posts wear white cape with red borders.
Nickel silver Guiding Cross and lanterns, made by Alfonso Luque.
Old banner embroidered in gold by the FilipensesMothers (1946).
Banner of the brotherhood designed by Brother Ricardo and embroidered by Piedad Muñoz (1996).
Elige el tour que más se ajuste a tus necesidades y reserva tu plaza en una de nuestras visitas guiadas regulares.
Las Visitas guiadas regulares son aquellas a las que puedes apuntarte de forma individual, se realizan regularmente y en un solo idioma, castellano o inglés
Visita Guiada Mezquita-Catedral de Córdoba
5 / 5
Visita Guiada Mezquita de Córdoba y Judería
5 / 5
Visita Guiada Córdoba a Fondo
5 / 5
Visita Guiada Medina Azahara
5 / 5