Pious Brotherhood of the Holy Sacrament and Holy Martyrs of Córdoba and Brotherhood of Nazarenes of the Holy Christ of Mercifulness and Our Lady of Tears in her Helplessness.
At the beginning of the new millennium, two existing brotherhoods joined: on the one hand,Santísimo Sacramento y Santos Mártires de Córdoba (Holy Sacrament and Holy Martyrs of Córdoba) (which already joined in 1741); and, on the other hand,Cristo de La Misericordia y la Virgen de las Lágrimas (Christ of Mercy and Virgin of Tears), founded in 1937 by a group of members led by Francisco Melguizo. They created a brotherhood that worships an old and miraculous image of a crucified located in the Church of San Pedro, which was joined in 1950 by the image of the Virgin. In 2005, together with Hermandad de la Buena Muerte (Brotherhood of Good Death), they organised the Jubilar Diocesan Pilgrimage of the Brotherhoods to the Relics of the Holy Martyrs and, thus, the members of the brotherhood were granted indulgence for the anniversary of the martyrdom.
Church of San Pedro. It was a Roman basilica dedicated to saints Faustus, Januarioand Marcial, as well as Christian Cathedral during the Muslim domination. It was rebuilt after the reconquest in times of San Fernando. The most outstanding thing nowadays is its Chapel of the Holy Martyrs, where they keep the relics found in 1575, a treasure of the Baroque period, from which we can highlight the urn, the silver lamp by Lucas Valdés given as a present by the city in 1602. A famous marble stone tells us from the outside that “behind that wall the greatest treasure in the city is kept“. It has recently been named Minor Basilica Menor of San Pedro.
Santísimo Cristo de la Misericordia (Holy Christ of Mercifulness) – [PHOTO #1; #2]
The image of Santísimo Cristo de la Misericordia (Holy Christ of Mercy) is an anonymous work from the 16th century, from the late Renaissance.
It is a Christ crucified with three nails, with a very slender profile and an extremely thin waist. The image has a great symmetry. His head is slightly leaned to the right, and his thick hair falls up to his chest. His half-opened eyes and mouth show the brutality of the scene. His clothes only consist of a purity cloth tied on his left side.
The cross is tree-like, covered by gilded cartouches on its ends and the “titulum” at the top.
In 1939 the image was restored by Rafael Díaz Peno, who deeply modified the original sculpture, and he substituted the old crown of thorns, he removed part of the beard and included polychrome on the purity cloth. In 1983 Rafael Rivera carried out a new restoraion, but in this case, he completely respected the aspect of the sculpture.
Nuestra Señora de las Lágrimas en su Desamparo (Our Lady of Tears in her Helplessness) – [PHOTO #1; #2]
The image of Nuestra Señora de las Lágrimas en su Desamparo (Our Lady of Tears in her Helplessness) is, like the previous case, an anonymous work from the 17th century.
In 1950 the brotherhood decided to be in charge of the Virgin located in the Parish of San Pedro itself, interestingly, an image that had belonged to the Brotherhood of the Pains of the Hospital of San Jacinto. It was at this time when the image changed its name to Nuestra Señora de las Lágrimas en su Desamparo (Our Lady of Tears in her Helplessness).
Right after becoming part of the brotherhood, the image was restored and they found out that it was not made in polychrome wood, but in terracotta.
Only her hands and face are carved. She has an oval face, with pale complexion, low look, and big eyes from which six tears fall down her cheeks. Her half-opened mouth shows a contained pain, as well as her frowned eyebrows.
White tunic and face-coverer and purple sash. The important posts wear a white cape with purple edges.
Carved and gilded Guiding Cross, with inlays consisting of mirrors (1944).
Christ Banner embroidered in gold and silks over purple velvet, with silver medallion representing Christ’s face, similar to that of the Virgin over white colour.
Silver reliquary of the Holy Martyrs.
Carved horns by Francisco Díaz Roncero from 1962, with cloths embroidered in gold by Adoring Mothers of Córdoba.
Sacramental banner with embroidery by Mercedes Castro, designed by Álvaro Rodríguez del Moral, framing an old silver medallion (2005).
Elige el tour que más se ajuste a tus necesidades y reserva tu plaza en una de nuestras visitas guiadas regulares.
Las Visitas guiadas regulares son aquellas a las que puedes apuntarte de forma individual, se realizan regularmente y en un solo idioma, castellano o inglés
Visita Guiada Mezquita-Catedral de Córdoba
5 / 5
Visita Guiada Mezquita de Córdoba y Judería
5 / 5
Visita Guiada Córdoba a Fondo
5 / 5
Visita Guiada Medina Azahara
5 / 5