Museum of Fine Arts
The facilities where the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Julio Romero de Torres are located today belonged originally to the old Hospital of Charity. This institution was sponsored by the Catholic Monarchs at the end of the 15th century, and it was run by the Third Order of San Francis, where they looked after the sick until 1837.
Since the middle of the 19th century, the building has experienced numerous reforms, and it has housed several cultural institutions in the city, such as the Archaeological Museum, which was located there between 1868 and 1917.
The bulk of the collection of the Museum of Fine Arts consists of a great number of works from different centuries, which were taken from expropriated convents in Córdoba in 1835. To all these, we must add a great deal of works from the expropriation in 1868, and later, those acquired through sale, deposit or donation. As for the latter, we must highlight Cabriñana’s donation (1898), Avilés’s donation (1922), Inurria’s deposit (1943), Bea Pelayo’s donation (1948 -1962), Camacho Padilla’s donation (1969) or the Collection Julio Romero de Torres (1991), which enriched the collection with works from the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th.
The collection is completed with a great number of paintings and drawings, most of them by local artists, as well as an extended graphic work or even contemporary sculpture, of which we can highlight the work carried out by master Mateo Inurria Lainosa from Córdoba.
Since its origin, the Museum of Fine Arts depended on the Provincial Government of Córdoba and the Ministry of Public Instruction, and it was part, after the end of Franco’s regime, of the National Board of Museums in 1978. Years later, more specifically since 1984, it has been a state museum run by the Department of Culture of the Junta de Andalucía (Regional Government).
Due to the nature of the collection, as well as to the reduced space, the works are displayed according to its artistic style. Therefore the halls are called "Baroque Art from Córdoba", "Contemporary Art", which will be seen next.
HALLS OF THE MUSEUM
HALL I: Baroque Art from Córdoba– [Photo #1; #2]
As we can see from its name, this first hall shows us works by the most outstanding painters from the 17th and 18th centuries who were born or who lived in Córdoba. Authors like Juan Luis Zambrano, Cristóbal de Vela Cobo or Juan de Valdés Leal are represented on its walls. However, the main figure of painting in Córdoba at that time was Antonio del Castillo, whose work has a privileged position in the museum. The hall has a small sculpture by the exceptional religious sculptor Juan de Mesa from Córdoba.
HALL II: Art from Córdoba in the 18th and 19th centuries– [Photo #1; #2]
Our second stop is in the hall where we can see works from the second half of the 18th century to the end of the 19th. From the 18th century, we can highlight the figure of Antonio Palomino from Bujalance (Córdoba), or Pedro Duque Cornejo, author of the magnificent choir stall in the Cathedral. From the 19th century, we can mention canvases by Rafael Romero Barros and his main disciples, such as those made by his sons, Rafael, Enrique and Julio Romero de Torres. The hall is finished with paintings by Diego Monroy…
HALL III: Art from Córdoba in the 20th century– [Photo #1; #2]
The hall is dedicated to art from Córdoba in the 20th century, and its main element is the sculpture by Mateo Inurria Lainosa, master from Córdoba who had great reputation and recognition, of whom we have examples from all the periods of his artistic career. Besides, works by Rafael Botí, Manuel Garnelo or Equipo 57 are displayed.
As for painting, we can highlight the works from the early period of Julio Romero de Torres from Córdoba, his brother Enrique Romero de Torres, Rafael Botí and Equipo 57, among others.
HALL IV: Drawings and Cards– [Photo]
The hall of drawings and cards aims at showing the wide and varied heritage the museum has on paper. The difficult conditions of security and conservation make it impossible to have a permanent exhibition, which is the reason why the works are constantly changing. Examples by Antonio del Castillo, Pedro de Campaña, José de Ribera "El Spagnoletto", Ramón Casa…, where very different techniques, materials and formats are used, make this collection a great treasure.
HALL V: Medieval and Renaissance Art– [Photo #1; #2]
The hall dedicated to works from the 14th to 16th centuries starts with the well-known "primitive school from Córdoba", with authors like Baltasar del Águila, Pedro Romana, Pedro de Córdoba and the first Alejo Fernández as its main examples.
On the other hand, we must highlight two fragments of mural paintings, a Christ and a Virgin, from the middle of the 14th century, rescued from the primitive Main Chapel of the Cathedral of Córdoba, which was back then located opposite the Chapel of Villaviciosa.
HALL VI: Mannerist Art from Córdoba– [Photo #1; #2]
The last hall in our museum shows Mannerist works from Córdoba, exhibiting canvases by the most outstanding local artists of the time, such as Pablo de Céspedes, Juan de Peñalosa, Antonio Mohedano or Cristóbal de Vela Cobo.
"La Asunción de la Virgen" (The Assumption of the Virgin) is especially interesting, by Juan de Peñalosa from Baena (Córdoba), which was taken from the Church of the old Hospital of San Sebastián. The author shows a very advanced composition with an exceptional burst of glory.
Inmaculada Concepción (Immaculate Conception)– [PHOTO].
Author: Juan Antonio de Frías y Escalante.
Oil on canvas.
Size: 210 x 175 cm.
Although he was born in Córdoba, he soon went to Madrid with his mother after his father died. We do not know the details of Escalante’s artistic production until the beginning of the 50s. Back then he worked in the workshop of painter Francisco Rizi, where he made contact with several high quality painters. Juan A. De Frías y Escalante died young, at the age of 35; however, he is known as a hard-working painter who left a significant number of works, from which we can highlight his "inmaculadas" (Immaculate).
The work we are describing is characterised by its great effect and colour, where the blue and flowing clothing of the Virgin stands out.
Calvario de la Inquisición (Calvary of the Inquisition)– [PHOTO].
Author: Antonio del Castillo Saavedra.
Oil on canvas.
Size: 275 x 275 cm.
He took his first steps next to his father, Agustín Del Castillo, although he soon moved to Seville in order to finish his training. There, he work in Francisco de Zurbarán’s workshop, but he soon came back to Córdoba, where he became a prolific painter, currently considered the greatest example of the painting from Córdoba in the 17th century.
This work was rescued from the Chapel the Inquisition had in the Alcázar of the Christian Monarchs, when they had their headquarters there. Christ is depicted dead in the Cross next to the Virgin (for some, with his second wife’s face) and Saint John (possibly a self-portrait), where the bright red of the clothing stands out.
Academia Masculina (Alegoría de la Escultura) [Male Academy (Allegory of Sculpture)]– [PHOTO].
Author: Mariano Salvador Maella.
Red chalk on laid paper.
Size: 47,5 x 37,5 cm.
During his training in Rome, Mariano Salvador Maella produced numerous drawings and, among them, the Academies have a privileged place, many of which were sent to the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Fernando. The works were so valuable that the scholars of that institution chose them as training examples.
One of the Academies made in Rome is signed and dated in November 1759, when the artist was 20 years old, and it belonged to this type of drawings that became so frequent from the 18th century.
The author used laid paper. He made an inscription stating his name next to the month and year, and also indicating a number or series which must correspond to the order in which they were made or the numbering of a possible notebook with these drawings.
It was made with red chalk, which was a frequent procedure in the author’s Roman Academies, and it perfectly matches the famous drawings of this period according to its technique and aesthetics.
Telephone: +34 957 355 550 / +34 957 355 543 / FAX: +34 957 355 548.
Bus: Lines 3, 4, 7 and 16.
- Mondays closed.
- Tuesday: 14:30 - 20:30.
- Wednesdays to Saturdays: 9:00 - 20:30.
- Sundays: 9:00 - 14:30.
- EU Citizen: Free admission.
- Other countries: €1.5.
How to get there:
The Museum of Fine Arts is located in one of the most symbolic places in the city, in Potro Square, which has existed since the 13th century, when the city was reconquested by Fernando III the Saint. The square can be easily accessed, as it is very close to Paseo de la Ribera, a street that accompanies River Guadalquivir on its way along Córdoba. If we arrive from the city centre, for example from Tendillas Square, we will just have to go through two streets, Claudio Marcelo and San Fernando.
If you wish to know the Museum of Fine Arts do not hesitate to hire one of our guided tours. We are experts in the interpretation of the historical heritage from Córdoba. We will advise you on tickets, timetables, prices, how to get… If you have chosen to do sightseeing in Córdoba, choose a high quality option, choose ArtenCórdoba.